Data visualisation has the ability to summarise important facts and statistics while presenting them in a creative and unique way, although there are some faults with the use of data visualisation and Infographics. Both mediums have there pro’s and con’s.
1. Is there such as a thing as too many facts, well yes there is! Some data visualisation have way too much going on which makes it hard to swallow and disgust the information. To create a successful data visualisation the key is to make it legible, easy to understand and presented in a logical way.
2. Infographics have the ability to present information quickly, clearly and in a manageable format. Although this could be seen as a pro and as a con. An infographic could potentially be seen as a fact sheet with pictures? Here’s an example of an infographic that is doing just this.
* This is an example of an infographic that in simply displaying the facts, and not following the guidelines of how to create a successful infographic. Although it displays the facts clearly, it does not capture ones eye because its simplicity and lack of creative design.
3. Data Visualisations oozes sophistication through detail and design when done right. Through succeeding the 4 characteristics of a great infographics; Data, Design, Story and Share-ability it has the power to project the facts and statistics in a interesting and detailed way. Design is highly important when discussing the success of infographics due to there complicated nature.
4. Infographics are straight to the point, heres the facts and statistics without the complication of deciphering the key or the statistics. Infographics although simple have the potential to provide a overview of a data visualisation while being attractive to the eye.
Both data visualisation and Infographics have the ability to appeal to the viewer but for different reasons and their pro’s and con’s. Complication Vs. Details, Design Vs. Readability are just some of the characteristics that are involved in deciphering the success of data visualisation and infographics.